Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Keller's Hamburgers Beer, Dallas, TX (September, 2011)

Keller's was the last stop on my DFW burger tour at the end of September.   When I read about them in Hamburger America, I'll have to say they were high on my list of prospects, just based on the restaurant itself.  When I pulled up, my expectations were met - this place was a true drive-in.   There was no "inside" at all.   Pull up under one of the awnings and turn on your blinkers when you're ready to order, (per the sign on the front)
So I turned my blinker on and a young lady walked up and took my order.   I went with a basic cheeseburger.   While I waited, I watched the people around me.   The funniest thing was this guy next to me in a pickup.  He pulled up, about 3:30, and when the hop came up, he ordered a longneck.   Then he drank it.  Then he left.   Who in the world drives up to a restaurant at 3:30 on a Tuesday, orders a beer, drinks it and  then leaves?  The guy that parked next to me, that's who.

So the food shows up, on a tray wrapped in wax.  Looks incredibly promising.  I open it with bated breath and what do I find?
The worst burger I ate this summer.  The meat was thin and tasteless, the bun was nothing but seeds.   I was bummed, but then I took one more look at the outside seating and it made my heart smile, just a little.

Keller's Drive-in on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. 20 years ago, you used to be able to get a great burger at Keller's along with your 6 pack. Keller's also owns Jakes, a mini-chain in Dallas, where you're supposed to be able to get a good burger. Locals say the one on McKinney Ave is the best. But I doubt it's as good as Maple and Motor.

    ReplyDelete