Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Monday, April 9, 2012

Local Three, Atlanta, GA (March, 2012)

We had visited Local Three, for the first time back in February of 2011.   We had been back a couple of times since for their (formerly fabulous) Sunday brunch, and had also been back for both lunch and dinner.   One evening, my daughter and I were looking for dinner, as we headed across the top-end, and I called for a reservation.  They offered a 6:45, I countered that I could be there by 6:49, she said "deal" and we moved into the left lane and pulled in on two wheels, with 30 seconds to spare <g>.  We had a great server.  That's one of the best features of Local Three, other than the food.  The staff at this place is top notch (as they are at also-owned Muss & Turners) - well informed and very helpful.  

As we looked through the menu, she told us that she had an appetizer that would "change our lives".   I asked what that could be and was told crispy brussel sprouts.  Brussel sprouts?  Was she serious?  She was.  I hate brussel sprouts.  That may sound harsh, but I distinctly remember the last time that I had eaten brussel sprouts.  I was eight years old.  My mother had made them for dinner.  I wasn't interested.  She told me that I would try them before I left the table.  Ultimately, I did.  Then I threw up all over the table.  

The server said they were really good, so for $5 we gave them a try.  And I didn't throw up.  They weren't awful, but they weren't that good.   Live and learn.
We also had decided to split a salad - spinach, fresh pears, feta cheese and bacon.   It was very good - Local Three was back on track. 

On to the burger.  I had eaten it for lunch one day, late last summer.  They call it the McDougal (two all beef patties, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion),  
served with fries and sambal sauce.   I ordered it again, and it arrived a gooey mess.  This was a truly good burger.  I will likely have it again, but when you have to choose between the McDougal,  their killer chicken pot pie and daily specials, choices can be tough.
Local Three Kitchen & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment