Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Boardwalk Burgers, Atlanta, GA (February, 2012)

While heading to a Thursday night jam down at the Red Light Cafe, I noticed a new burger place had opened in Ansley Mall - Boardwalk Burgers.  It turns out that it is a new franchise location for which, according to the sign on the wall and their web site, the concept was started by two brothers, walking on the boardwalk in Ocean City, MD, who were reminiscing about their childhood visits to the boardwalk for the fresh-cut fries.   The fries are cooked multiple times at different temperatures then lightly salted and served hot.   By 1987, they had franchises across the country and decided to make a burger to go with it. 

The interior was fairly standard (fast-food-like), with counter service from which you ordered one of their Signature burgers (Bacon Bleu, Mushroom Swiss, BBQ Bacon Cheddar) or you can design your own.  They do also have dogs, chicken sandwiches and a veggie burger on the menu. 
I went with the BBQ Bacon Cheddar.   And their "World Famous Boardwalk Fries".   (I was tempted to ask for the international accolades which had been lauded upon them, but Shaniqua did not appear to be in the mood to share those).
It was good.   It beat a chain burger from Wendy's or Burger King or McDonald's or .....   But it wasn't a "top-tier" chain like In-N-Out or Five Guys or....

If I was in the neighborhood, I'd eat there, but I wouldn't make the drive.  And I'd have a hard time, being that close to 5 Napkin Burger to choose Boardwalk, if I had the time for not-so-fast-but-far-superior food.
Boardwalk Fresh Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment