Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Collegiate Grill (Gainesville, GA) - May, 2011

When I first downloaded the Hamburger America app last summer, the first thing I did was look at the choices in my hometown.  About 50 miles north of the city, this green flag was sitting there in Gainesville.  When I clicked on the flag, it opened on the Collegiate Grill.  Then I remembered reading about the Collegiate in a USA Today article last summer:

"Georgia Brown opened the historic Collegiate Grill in 1947 in downtown Gainesville.  Customers enjoy freshly prepared burgers, dogs and shakes in a 1940s setting.  The black-and-white checkered floors, red vinyl booths and counter seating make the experience even more memorable"
One Friday morning it was quiet in the office and none of my "lunch crowd" was around that day, so I made the 45 minute drive to Gainesville.  Arriving just off the square, shortly after noon, I went in and took a seat at the counter. 

After perusing the menu, I was faced with a dilemna:  Burger?  Or chili dog?  Burger?  Or chili dog?  Burger?  Or chili dog?  How could you choose between the two? 
Exercising the wisdom of Solomon, I decided on one of each, no fries (that was my concession to my "eat-better-live-better" mantra).  The burger was definitely good.  The child dog the same.  Overall, a worthwhile lunch adventure.  Not as culinarily lucrative as the other trip to Gainesville, a month earlier, but worthwhile, none the less. 

As I was walking back to the car, fairly full, I saw a window sign that caught my eye.   Anyone brave enough to  open a hot dog restaurant deserves a try.  So I went in and had a chili dog.  The one at the Collegiate was much better.  I'd be surprised if Deep South Dogs is still open...

No comments:

Post a Comment