Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Friday, September 2, 2011

Marty's Hamburger Stand, Los Angeles, CA (August 2011)

Earlier this week, I had the chance to be in LA, for a day.   With a little time to kill between meeting's end and my flight home, the opportunity to continue my quest arose.   Driving down the 405, the next logical stop was Pico Boulevard, in West LA.   Cruising east on Pico, we drove by the Apple Pan, looking for this roadside stand from the fifties.
 
Open since 1958, Marty's is "Home of the Combo".   I've eaten "combos" my whole life, but never like this.  All the fast-food joints have made it a combo when you add fries and a soft drink to your sandwich.  Marty made it simple.  A "combo" is simply a hot dog and a hamburger on the same bun.  Brilliant.   This grill is right through the window on the right.  
As you order, they pull out the ground beef ball, measured and rolled fresh daily and slap it on the grill, mashing it nearly flat.  And here's the result.   My "combo" combo <g>.



And a little closer view of the combo burger.  It was excellent.  The folks I was with both had double cheeseburgers.   In fact one went back for a hot dog, but changed his mind when we started discussing Apple Pie for desert at the Apple Pan.  It was REALLY good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment