Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Apple Pan, Los Angeles, CA (May 2007)


Looking back, this is the first burger place that I can find of which I took a picture - The Apple Pan in Los Angeles.  Madison and I went to LA for her 16th birthday get-away.  Before we left, I googled "best burger los angeles" and this was one of the places that popped up.   Very limited menu and not much more seating (26 stools around a U-shaped counter). 

In business since 1947, little has changed.   The burgers are still served wrapped in wax paper and the counterman pours ketchup onto a paper plate.   Sadly, I didn't think, back  then, to get a picture of the burger.  But the apple pies are still baked fresh daily.   

Last week (August 31) I went back by the Apple Pan, just for the pie, after eating a burger at Marty's.   The amazing thing is the volume of pies that they prepare:
In the back right corner of the restaurant (off the right tip of the U-shaped counter) is the pie preparation area.  This is through a glass window.  Check out the pies.  
I also got a shot of the inside from the right front corner, this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment