Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Miller's Bar, Dearborn, MI (June 2011)

I had the opportunity to be in Detroit earlier this summer and with some time to kill before I had to catch a plane, I realized that I had a chance to hit Miller's Bar in Dearborn.  The sign on the left is actually the outside wall, facing the cross street.  
Inside, it is a long, narrow, window-less, menu-less bar.   Wood bar lining the right wall, red leather and wood booths lining the lefts and tables in the middle.   The griddle is in the near corner as you walk in and can't be any larger than a normal stove-top.  Yet they serve up to 1,200 burgers a day.

And it is a really good burger - seven ounces of fresh beef with American cheese, served on a sheet of wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment