Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Burger House, Dallas, TX (April 2011)

On the way back home from Oklahoma, via DFW, we had time for lunch in Dallas.   Looking at the choices, we ended up at the Burger House.  Originally Jack's Burger House, it has now turned into a Texas-based franchise.  We chose the original location on Mockingbird, near the campus of SMU.  

It is a typical burger joint, known for their fries.   But what caught my attention wasn't on the menu, but rather on a sign on the wall - the Texas Hamburdog.  In case you can't read it, this contains: 2 all beef patties, 2 slices of American cheese, 1 all beef hot dog, 2 slices of applewood bacon, 1 scoop of chili, mustard, grilled onions (which I held) and jalapenos.   How can a man turn down that opportunity?

Quite a culinary experience, but I don't know that I'd do it again.  Not that I need to.  You, on the other hand, should <g>.



No comments:

Post a Comment