Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Friday, August 26, 2011

Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger, Ann Arbor, MI (August 2011)

Stop number four.

After Motz's, I don't know that I could have a BETTER burger, but I still had two hours before I flied, so I could have a DIFFERENT burger.

Looking at the map, where I was, and the Hamburger America app, I realize that I can make it to Ann Arbor in time for a stop at Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger and still get to the airport in time for my flight.  I was looking for a different burger and I had heard that Krazy Jim's was a different kind of burger joint.


The menu was daunting, particularly compared to the rest of the menus for the day.  And the format was very different.  No pleasant waitress who has worked there for twenty plus years.  Three young guys, who took  the order cafeteria-style and did so in the manner of an interrogation.   You didn't volunteer what kind of burger you wanted, you waited to answer the questions as they were asked.

The Menu at Krazy Jim's
How many patties?  Double?  Triple?  Quadruple?  Quintuple?   What kind of bun?  Regular?  Onion?  Kaiser?  Pumpernickel?  Anything grilled?  Onions?  Banana peppers?  Sauteed mushrooms?  Black or green olives?  Fried egg?  Bacon?  Hard salami?  

That was the first round of questions.   And don't talk to them about cheese, until they ask you what kind you want.   After the cheese, they slap it on a bun and hand it to the last guy who puts on the condiments and rings you up.   

The two most interesting exchanges that I heard from behind the counter:

Exchange 1, to the lady behind me: "What kind of burger do you want?"
"Two doubles."
"They both for you?"
"No.  One's for [points behind her] him."
"Can he not talk?"
"[Obviously flustered] No."
"You know, we have deaf folks in here.  We have blind folks in here.  They all manage to order for themselves."
It actually worsened for him when he tried to order his own cheese and the line cook told him to tell the woman what he wanted so she could tell him.

Exhange 2, overheard from my table:
"Hey, guy - you do know that you've got a really big burger on a really small bun.  You sure you don't want to change that to a Kaiser roll?"

I paid attention and knew what I wanted.  So I ordered confidently.  

Double
On a Kaiser roll
With grilled Salami
[pause]
Feta Cheese
[pause]
Mayonnaise and tomato

It was a novel combination.  And a good burger.   

But I did wonder, on the way to the airport, if I had time to get to Motz's for another double.

No comments:

Post a Comment