Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Places I Missed (Part 2)

In the same trip that we hit Charlies' in Folsom, PA, we travelled across the state to Tessaro's in Pittsburgh's Little Italy neighborhood. Aside from the size of the burgers, one of the main attractions is, according to Hamburger America, the hardwood grill which is "unique to the burger world.  The hamburgers at Tessaro's are grilled over a fire made from west Pennsylvania hardwoods."  They use a mixture of yellow maple, red oak and walnut.  This was a great, huge burger.  


In September of 2010, I was on a business trip to Houston and went to Christian's Tailgate Bar & Grill.   Imagine a half pound Five Guys burger.  Now make it more flavorful.  You're getting there.

This was an excellent burger - one of the better recommendations from Hamburger America.





Late in the summer of 2010, I kept hearing stories of the "secret" burgers that only appeared on the menu at Holman & Finch Public House at 10:00 on weeknights.   And they only made 24 a night.  And they sold out EVERY night.  ((the Legend).   Griddled patties, American cheese, homemade ketchup and grilled onions.   

I began plotting a way to end up there around 9:45.   It's on Peachtree, near Peachtree Battle, so I couldn't really come up with a convenient "excuse' to be in the neighborhood....

Then I heard that they had burgers ALL DAY on Sunday for brunch, starting at 11:30.   The next Sunday we were there at 11:30.  Waited an hour.  Two weeks later we took  the girls, got there at 11:00 and made the first seating.  Many folks believe that this is the best burger in Atlanta.  On a recent episode of the Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" about hamburgers, Chef Anne Burrell chose the burger at H&F as the best burger she ever ate.  I'd say it is definitely among the three best in the city and at the top for the country, in my meager travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment