Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Monday, August 15, 2011

Le Tub, Hollywood, FL (March 2011)


2011 IS the year of the burger.  Okay, at least one of the years of the burger.   In March, heading to Miami for a conference, on the way south from the Fort Lauderdale airport, we stopped to eat at Le Tub Saloon.  This was another recommendation from Hamburger America.  Several years ago, it was chosen as the #1 burger in America by GQ Magazine.  Then Oprah did a special on it.  



We stopped for a late lunch on a Wednesday.  The parking lot was crowded, the inside was pretty full.  We took a table and looked at the menu - the most prominent item is the Sirloinburger.  The THIRTEEN OUNCE Sirloinburger.  We looked at the tables around us.  They looked huge.  So we decided to order one and split it.  We waited about 35 minutes.  I guess it takes a while to cook almost a pound of hamburger.  Good choice - it WAS huge.  But, amazingly, it was done exactly as we ordered it, all of the way through.



While we were waiting for our food, a pair of snowbirds landed and ordered at the table next to us.  A burger.  Each.  Twenty minutes later, our food shows up.  We hear Papa Snowbird say to Mama Snowbird, "oh my, we probably should have split one."

I'd go back.


1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great burger. I'm drooling on my iPad just looking ar it.

    ReplyDelete