Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Monday, August 15, 2011

T-Rays Burger Station, Amelia Island, FL (January 2011)

Back in October of 2010, a friend had e-mailed me when he was down for Georgia / Florida weekend about this burger place that I "had to try", T-Ray's Burger Station.
  
A couple of months later there was an article in USA Today about 51 great burgers - 51 Great Burger Joints Across the USA - there was Florida's entry, T-Ray's Burger Station.  

In January of 2011, I had to fly into Jacksonville for a meeting up in Brunswick. Amelia Island is, effectively, on the way, so I decided to swing by.   I drove by it the first time as it is, basically, an Exxon station turned into a burger joint.  There is no big sign out front, just a picture of a cheeseburger on the outside wall between the closed-in garage doors.

As you can see by the interior photo, they stopped part way through the conversion.  The cooler that used to hold soft drinks now serve as the cold storage for lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. The front counter holds a vast selection of college and roadside memorabilia.  The pumps are still out front, as is some of the Exxon signage.  The burger is simple - a good-sized handmade burger with steak fries.  Worth the drive off 95, but I wouldn't make a trip down there, just for the burger.




No comments:

Post a Comment