Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hodad's, Ocean Beach, CA (April 2011)

On a west coast swing in April of 2011,  we made the journey south from LA to Ocean Beach to visit Hodad's, a true California burger stand.  Open air, just  steps from the beach (approximately 79-82) and served in wax paper.  
(Note the bald man, in the door way wearing a blue shirt.  It is an infrequent appearance of me in my food photos.  This is a true Rod Serling / Alfred Hitchcock moment.  Or maybe Stan Lee in a modern Marvel movie.)


 
I had consulted my Hamburger Bible and targeted this as place that was "close" to where we were staying for a conference.  It was "closer" to seventy-five miles of freeway, but who's counting, in the quest for burger nirvana.    The center table is shaped like a giant surf board with benches down both side, while one of the booths is the front-end of 1966 VW Microbus. The menu is simple - singles, double and triples.  But the secret ingredient is the bacon.  I don't know what they do to it, but it is the piece de resistance atop this burger.  Mmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment