Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Places I Missed (Part 1)

Since I decided to start a blog retrospectively, there were some spots I visited where I don't seem to have the photos anywhere but on FB.   

There was Stanley's in Central Falls, RI (a little north of Providence) in August 2009.  That's the first time that I remember ordering Poutine, Quebec style French Fries, cheese curds and brown gravy.

Eagles Deli, Brighton, MA in August 2009.  Home of the "Godzilla Burger".  Tokyo won.


Lankford Grocery, Houston, TX in November, 2009.  This was a Hamburger America find.  This place was operated as a grocery from when it opened in 1939 until 1977 when they converted it into a cafe.  Great, classic burger (see below)

In March of 2010, we heard about a new restaurant in Atlanta called Bocado.  The reviews in Atlanta magazine raved about the quality of the burger.   It was good.  I'd put it in the top five in the city, today.

The April adventure was at the now defunct Vinings Burger Club.  Their take on burgers was there was nothing you couldn't do to a burger to "improve" it.  I had to try this one - the Artery Annihilator: a cheeseburger between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  Not nearly as good as you'd hope when you combine two culinary wonders....


June, 2010 - we tried a new restaurant after a review in the AJC, Urban Pl8.   Great local in-town restaurant on Huff Rd, in West Midtown, focusing on quality + affordability.  This was the burger I chose that night - a bison burger with harisa (an Algerian HOT paste) and avocado.  Excellent!  We've been back several times since, and while I've sampled other offerings, I've come back to the burger.  They also offer it "paleo" style - served between two slices of tomato, as opposed  to on a bun.





No comments:

Post a Comment