Here's the deal - the cheeseburger is the quintessential American food. A couple of years back, after reading a review in the Wall Street Journal about the best burgers in the country, only to find that three of the top five were in my own back yard, I decided that I needed to see for myself. With the help of George Motz's "Hamburger America", several lists, recommendations from friends and asking everyone about burgers from "their" town, this is the result...

If you're curious about my thoughts on foods other than burgers, check out my other blog Eat to Live? Or Live to Eat?

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Farmstead 303, Decatur, GA (October 2010)

The restaurant landscape in Atlanta is an ever-evolving thing.  Last October we were driving through Decatur and saw a new restaurant where the Freight Room once was and decided to give it a whirl.   When I went to post this, I googled for their website and found that they've changed names.

The space itself is great inside.  It is a converted railroad station.  Being the geek that I am (that counts for architecture, too), what really caught my eye were some of the internal features.  What really caught my attention was the ceiling fan system.  Each fan was connected by a giant series of belts - the first powered by the motor and each of the rest running off the power to the first.  I talked to the hostess about it, at length to the chagrin of Jo, and she said that the system was bought for the depot in the late 30s and had never been installed.  When they took the space over, they found it, still in the boxes, and put it up.  The menu looks similar, but I can't attest to the current version.   At the time we were there, the menu was focused strongly on locally sourced ingredients. 

I had a pimiento cheese burger with a side of mac and cheese.  It was fine, but not worth a return trip.
Good thing, because I couldn't go back if I wanted to.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the pimiento cheese burger concept hasn't made it to Dallas!

    ReplyDelete